obrienk

Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Just Breathe - Exams



A parent from one of my lacrosse players shared this video with me a few years ago when I was at Episcopal Academy. That was a special season and team - we meditated daily before every practice and every game.

When I share this video in class, the wisdom of these children can be cynically scoffed at - comments like "They didn't come up with that..." or "No way that was something a kid knew..." "Who wrote those lines for them?"

I witnessed one class recently laugh and make fun of the kid's teeth "He'll need braces" and "He has anger issues" but I say nothing. The reaction to this video is telling of the mindset and reflects even a not so latent anger at anything that suggests meditation and mindfulness. The loudest critics... I am mindful not to make assumptions. But I record observations.

Hearts and minds are not opened easily - and the myth of multitasking is not received warmly.
Our lives - and our brains - are fried with stimulus and anxiety - FOF and FOMO preying on all of us.


Understand how (parental) stress affects developing brain from early childhood to adolescence.

From Raising of America:

The Amygdala-Prefrontal Cortex Connection is Crucial from California Newsreel on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment