obrienk

Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Wise Words from One of My Mentors from One of his Mentors: "You Teach Them"

            Fall trimester of my junior year in high school, I earned a 4 on 6 scale in Mr. Henningsen's American History course. Hoping for a 4.5 or even a 5, I was devastated since my GPA was subpar - once again.

              During my sophomore, I had dug myself a tremendous hole. Frankly, I was fortunate to return to Andover for my junior year after being on academic probation the previous year. Struggling with grief after the loss of my grandfather in December, plus frustrating athletic injuries in soccer and winter track while also breaking my hand in the spring after achieving my goal of making varsity lacrosse, I battled with depression most of my sophomore year. At the end of the spring trimester, I buckled down after realizing how perilous my place at Phillps Academy was - failing most of my classes that midterm. With fear of expulsion, I studied, performing well on all my exams, especially French.

             So, in the fall of my junior year, I returned - determined to excel. After dinner, while many socialized until study hours, my best friend and I would eat quickly and return to the quiet second floor of the library immediately. I knew I had to develop my reading comprehension with note-taking skills, especially for Henningsen's history. Never before did I have so much reading to cover - every single night. With a feeling that I would never know what he may ask in class, I read and wrote notes and reread the notes, but I came up short on test after test. I spent hours on essays, yet they never translated to the grades I had hoped. With time and effort, I learned from my mistakes; however, I earned a 4 in the fall and again another 4 in the winter. I admit that I cried my eyes out to my mother that I will never get into college.
         
             Nevertheless, I admired Mr. Henningsen and sought his approval and respect, so I continued to work. I often wondered if I was smart enough - and certainly felt not good enough in a classroom and school of hard-working, talented over-achievers.

             In the spring, after an arduous year and final exam, I earned my 5 - finally. Truth be told it was one of the few 5s on my transcript. But more importantly, I was proud of his kind words on my year end comment. Mr. Henningsen acknowledged my perseverance and improvement over the course of the year.

           The fall of my senior year, Mr. Henningsen wrote one of my college recommendations. I have no doubt that I would not have been accepted early to the University of Pennsylvania without his letter of recommendation.

             And more importantly, perhaps, I would not appreciate reading and writing in the way I do now. I know that I would not be a teacher without his example. When I am sick and tired and frustrated at times as a teacher, I remember his patience and support.

             Watching these videos brings me back to his classroom, and I "teach them" like he taught me.

New York Campaign Celebration: Vic Henningsen '69, P'01, '05 from Phillips Academy on Vimeo.
Vic Henningsen instructor in history and social sciences spoke at the December 2010 campaign event in New York City.



Baccalaureate 2013 - Vic Henningsen from The Polk-Lillard Center on Vimeo.
Phillips Academy Andover Baccalaureate 2013, reflections from faculty: Victor Henningsen


 
Vic Henningsen Tribute by Ross Bendetson '13 from Phillips Academy on Vimeo.

Perspectives on Leadership from Phillips Academy on Vimeo.

"Hundreds of alumni returned to campus April 27 to honor Barbara Chase, including trustee president emeritus David Underwood ’54 and his successor Oscar Tang ’56. Making the most of this reunion and tapping the collective wisdom of the three leaders, the Academy hosted a panel discussion, “Perspectives in Leadership.” Faculty, staff, alumni, and parents filled Tang Theatre Friday evening for a Q&A session moderated by Vic Henningsen ’69, instructor in history and social science."

No comments:

Post a Comment