obrienk

Monday, January 9, 2012

Today's Lessons Learned - from technology and my students.






Today, I have learned many lessons in our experimenting, but three thoughts before bed.  

1. With Edomodo.com, I learned that one is to read the fine print of User Agreements. It's important to understand what you’re clicking, and agreeing to when signing up for anything.  Right now our school usage is on hold - hope to resolve the matter asap. I apologize for the time invested by faculty and students today; however, in the long run, I believe it will not be in vain, since...  

2. Edmodo.com has tremendous potential as a collaborative learning tool on a global platform - it’s exciting just thinking of the possibilities.  I hope to have it up and running soon, once we follow the due diligence and take the necessary communication steps to roll it out to the entire community, especially parents.  To be candid, I let my enthusiasm get the best of me.  It’s just so easy to use Edmodo.com because it’s incredibly intuitive and facebook familiar.  It has tremendous potential!

3. My students are teachers - and incredible learners when it comes to technology.  They adapt quickly.  My role as teacher is to spark their curiosity and help them understand why we are doing what we are doing.  With directions, I have to be clear in leading them; I know personally how overwhelming technology can be.  However, it’s in playing with it and making mistakes, we learn and then we share it with others.  

Today, I especially enjoyed the moments when a student would tinker, figure it out, and share it with classmates.  That’s true student learning and ownership.


I look forward to tomorrow as we focus on developing student blogs. 



Here’s some examples of various award winning blogs:

Time Magazine’s Top 25 Blogs of 2011

Bloggers Choice Awards

Education blogs 

No comments:

Post a Comment